Our Sunrise Strategy
The James B. McClatchy Foundation is imagining the sunrise beyond our sunset—an awakening of a new day and a new plan for a thriving Central Valley for generations to come.
Spend Down to Sunrise
In 2016, the James B. McClatchy Foundation’s Board recognized that the needs of the unique populations in the Central Valley were only increasing—to the point that a greater long-term investment would be needed than what the Foundation could fulfill on its own.
What we want to build, we won’t see it now, but we will see it in 10 years. I want to be able to celebrate when that 10 year comes, knowing that HIP is contributing to changing the Central Valley and empowering a new generation of leaders to lead.
Executive Director of Hmong Innovating Politics, JBMF Grantee
The Sunrise Plan
Our Sunrise Goals
We will seed sustainable and independent local non-profit journalism, grow partnerships to build an infrastructure that fills the gaps experienced by multilingual children and families, and cultivate local leaders that reflect diverse Central Valley communities.
Capacity Building: Investing in the vision of Central Valley communities to guide initiatives and infrastructure that have the potential for long-term sustainability.
Anchor Partnerships: Building organizational capacity and strengthening inclusive collaborations and leadership to drive systems transformations.
Sustainability: Scale up approaches and organizations that have the readiness for greater impact, and the capacity to leverage resources and become self-sustaining
The Sunrise Plan Timeline
We are committed to devoting all our resources through 2030 before this Foundation sunsets. While the fruits of our work will be realized after the sunset, we are excited to execute our final steps to ensure the stage is set for a sunrise of change and sustainability for the Central Valley.
- Grant investments to continue to build capacity.
- The Foundation hones in on possible anchor partners.
- The network of grantees strengthens, and Central Valley stories are amplified.
- Transitioning grantee partners receive operating grants.
- The Central Valley Journalism Collaborative is sustained.
Establishing Anchor Partners
- Anchor partnerships emerge.
- Grant investments are awarded to anchor partners with the continued support of new efforts.
- A stronger infrastructure for multilingual learners, inclusive leadership, and local journalism is sustained.
- Education systems cultivate ML learning environments—children are kindergarten-ready.
- New leaders are activated and are represented in public/civic and business spaces.
- Stories from local journalists capture Central Valley life, chronicle urgent issues, and investigate problems and solutions.
- The Sunrise Plan strategy is refreshed as needed.
- Philanthropic dollars are leveraged.
- Sunrise knowledge is captured through documentation.
- Sustainability grants are awarded.
- Uncommitted grants to locational anchor partners, including community foundations, are awarded.